Friday, August 21, 2009

Up Pompeii and Mozzy Mayhem - 20th August.

I hardy slept last night – who would have thought that the road past the Pompeii ruins would be the busiest in the world all through the night! It was unbearable hot and, for the first time ever, we slept with all but the main tent door open. I eventually got up about 5.30 to make myself a cup of tea and read my book. As I sat there I began to realise that I had been bitten again in the night. Mosquito bites were literally turning to large spots and blisters almost as I watched them. I am covered. I even have bites between my toes.

By 7.30 it was already obvious it was going to be a very hot day. We decided to wake the children and start our day in the ruins early. Chris went off to shop for provisions while we got ready. It was great to re-visit Pompeii now that I had learned more about it on my college course. The children were impressed with the extent of the city. The only down side was the number of building which are closed at present for conservation.

Our guide for the morning didn't give his name, but he was very friendly.

But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? Lego!

By one o'clock we were ready to leave, we had seen the main sights and it
was too hot to continue walking around. We decided to pack up camp and drive halfway to Lake Garda today, instead of tomorrow.

It was absolute hell traveling today – the temperature was 39 degrees and the car aircon is working even less than it was before. We picked a spot to stop and pulled off the motorway to check the sat nav for campsites nearby. By this time, tempe4rs were a bit short, we were qll hot, knackered and had headaches. We were not please when the nearest campsite appeared to be 30km away. Just as we were about to get back on the motorway I spotted a camping signpost. Within half an hour the tent was up and we were in the pool cooling off.


They must have big hens in Tuscany!

No comments: